Technology experts and thought leaders from Netflix, Jaguar Land Rover, Samsung and more will kick off three days of Linux and open source collaboration
SAN FRANCISCO, February 28, 2013 – The Linux Foundation, the nonprofit organization dedicated to accelerating the growth of Linux, today announced the keynote speakers for The Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit to be held April 15-17, 2013 in San Francisco.
Leaders from the Linux developer, industry and end-user communities will gather at the invitation-only Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit to advance the state-of-the-art of Linux and open source software. The summit is the only place where leaders from the developer, end-user and industry communities can come together to tackle the most pressing issues facing the platform today. It is also the place that brings together The Linux Foundation’s Collaborative Projects and workgroups to meet and work more broadly with other community leaders to achieve breakthrough innovation.
The following confirmed keynote speakers and presentations will set the stage for discussion on such topics as automotive engineering, big data, cloud computing, virtualization, mobile and embedded development, filesystems, kernel development, legal topics, the Linux Standard Base, SPDX, parallel processing, Tizen, tools, and tracing.
Confirmed keynote speakers and topics include:
- Netflix’s Adrian Cockcroft will discuss the challenges and demands of living in a world of cloud-based services.
- LWN.net Editor and Linux Kernel Developer Jon Corbet will update attendees on the state of the Linux kernel with a new Linux Weather Forecast.
- Jaguar Land Rover’s Technology Lead for the Next-Generation of Infotainment Systems Matt Jones will cover how the company is using Linux and the collaborative development model to design the cars of tomorrow.
- Adapteva CEO Andreas Olofsson will introduce summit attendees to Parallela, a $99 supercomputer and Kickstarter project with the goal of democratizing access to parallel computing.
- Dr. Sang-bum Suh, VP of the Software Platform Team in Samsung’s Software R&D Center will speak about the importance of open source software from mobile to cloud at Samsung Electronics.
- Red Hat Gluster Community Manager John Mark Walker will share how open source data storage is at the vanguard of a new era of data storage and management.
- The Linux Foundation Collaborative Projects panel hosted by Linux Foundation Executive Director Jim Zemlin will include project leaders from OpenMAMA, Yocto and a special guest from a new initiative to be announced onsite.
On days two and three of the event, hundreds of summit participants will break into workgroup meetings to expand on topics presented during the keynotes and to take a dive deep into additional topics. Highlights include:
- Citrix Cloud Computing Community Senior Director Mark Hinkle will discuss the nuances of cloud computing with his Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Open Cloud.
- Intel Software Architect Thiago Macieira will discuss how engineers can learn the intricacies of community management.
- GNOME Foundation Executive Director Karen Sandler will talk about the importance of bringing more women into the free and open source community.
- Codethink CEO Paul Sherwood will share his predictions on the future of automotive Linux.
- Red Hat File System Team Architect & Senior Manager Ric Wheeler will talk about hot topics in file systems, storage and memory management.
- Linux kernel’s core power management code maintainer Rafael J. Wysocki will describe the modifications in version 5 of the ACPI specification.
- A status update will be given on the toolchain, including GCC, GDB, GLIBC, LLVM, ASAN/TSAN, C and Go.
- A panel discussion on GNU Affero General Public License version 3 will feature top legal leaders from the open source community.
“This exclusive event enables the growing, vibrant Linux and open source communities to re-imagine the possibilities for collaborative development,” said Jim Zemlin, executive director at The Linux Foundation. “Witnessing the energy between groups collaborating who normally don’t get to meet face-to-face is electric and the expansion of the topics and content covered reflects the growth of Linux and our Collaborative Projects, workgroups and membership.”
Immediately following The Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit, a second event, the Linux Storage, Filesystem and Memory Management Summit will take place April 18-19, 2013. Holding the summits in close proximity increases the opportunities for collaborative engagement among developers and researchers focused on advancing Linux in these areas.
The Linux Foundation Collaboration Summit is made possible with generous support from all of our sponsors, including Platinum sponsors HP and Intel.
About The Linux Foundation
The Linux Foundation is a nonprofit consortium dedicated to fostering the growth of Linux and collaborative software development. Founded in 2000, the organization sponsors the work of Linux creator Linus Torvalds and promotes, protects and advances the Linux operating system and collaborative software development by marshaling the resources of its members and the open source community. The Linux Foundation provides a neutral forum for collaboration and education by hosting Collaborative Projects, Linux conferences, including LinuxCon and generating original research and content that advances the understanding of Linux and collaborative software development. More information can be found at www.linuxfoundation.org.
Trademarks: The Linux Foundation, Linux Standard Base, MeeGo, Tizen, and Yocto Project are trademarks of The Linux Foundation. Linux is a trademark of Linus Torvalds.
- Dent Introduces Industry’s First End-to-End Networking Stack Designed for the Modern Distributed Enterprise Edge and Powered by Linux - 12月 17, 2020
- Open Mainframe Project Welcomes New Project Tessia, HCL Technologies and Red Hat to its Ecosystem - 12月 17, 2020
- New Open Source Contributor Report from Linux Foundation and Harvard Identifies Motivations and Opportunities for Improving Software Security - 12月 8, 2020