The Linux kernel, after more than a quarter of a century, is stronger than ever. The 2017 State of Linux Kernel Development report offers an update on recent work on the most successful open source project of all time.
This report has info on:
- Development highlights since 4.7
- The Linux kernel development model
- Who works on Linux
- Which companies contribute to Linux
- Bug reporting and security efforts
- Lessons learned from 26 years of Linux
Linux Kernel Development: Version 4.13
2017 Linux Kernel Development Report
Linux is one of the most successful collaborative development projects in history. As it has grown, Linux has come to dominate nearly every market it enters, including cloud, mobile, embedded, and supercomputing. This remarkable and sustained growth wouldn’t be possible without the rapid evolution of the Linux kernel and dedication of the kernel community. Regular releases deliver stable updates to Linux users, each with significant new features, added device support, and improved performance.
Share this Report with your Colleagues and Friends
Linux Kernel Community
Download the report to learn more about some of the people who work on the kernel and why they choose to contribute their talents to Linux.
Senior Researcher, Inria
I like the chance to interact with a community with a very high level of technical skill.
Software Engineer, Facebook
It’s gratifying knowing that your code is running on billions of devices.
Software Engineer, Google
I’ve always loved working with low-level software, close to the hardware boundary.
CTO, Linutronix GmbH
I strongly believe that FOSS is the right way to go.
- Dent Introduces Industry’s First End-to-End Networking Stack Designed for the Modern Distributed Enterprise Edge and Powered by Linux - 12月 17, 2020
- Open Mainframe Project Welcomes New Project Tessia, HCL Technologies and Red Hat to its Ecosystem - 12月 17, 2020
- New Open Source Contributor Report from Linux Foundation and Harvard Identifies Motivations and Opportunities for Improving Software Security - 12月 8, 2020